Friday, July 2, 2010

Ina's Granola

My cooking hero is Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, you would think that since I live in the south it would be Paula Dean, but heck she cooks the same stuff as I do! So Ina and her wonderful french influence is the one I watch and watch and watch.
Sadly this scrape of paper contains the 3 recipes I prepared today, Banana Bread, Granola, and Coconut Macaroons. I sit with my new
I-Pad ( which is marvelous) pondering what I shall cook and then jot down my recipes. when I write them I remember better. I am a teacher and I still hand write all my lesson plans, I love my technology but I just retain the info better when I physically write it down!
Here are the ingredients for the granola, I did change her recipe a bit, less oil and a little more honey because I used unsweetened coconut.
I L-o-v-e this measuring cup that my "sister" Mickie gave me, it too is marvelous and is great for mixing gooey stuff in and then you can squeeze it right out.
granola before baking, I used a silpat, if you don't have one, run to the store right now and get one...great for all kinds of baking
after cooling the granola, I filled 2 quart jars and and had about 3 more cups left. We went and picked organic blueberries tonight and for breakfast I am having granola, blueberries and yogurt. Yummy!

Ina's Granola

  • 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 cups sliced almonds
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup good honey

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss the oats, coconut, and almonds together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. I did not add any fruit but you may add apricots, figs, cherries, cranberries, and cashew or any other combination. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.

Check lots of wonderful recipes on Foodie Friday

8 Comments:

Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

That looks really good! Now I have to go look up what a silpat is!

July 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Kathy, I'm the same way. If I write something down it remains with me.

July 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I love granola, so simple to make but oh so good!
Blessings and Bliss,
Catherine

July 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

The granola looks so yummy. I think I would wreck the healthy end of it and put it over ice cream!

July 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi Mrs. C.,
Thanks for following...did you see I am following you too, your blog is so cheerful and chatty, I really enjoyed looking through. I am answering your question about the pictures. I use blogspot too, and the template I use is the STretch Minima...it seems like the area for the posts is wider so you can make your pictures larger, at least that's what I do. Good luck! Beth

July 4, 2010 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger Mickie said...

kathy....so glad you love you measuring cup."sister" :)

Mickie

July 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger JcVeggie said...

Hey this looks better than what they sell at Greenlife! When you start getting too many blueberries to store we can dehydrate some for your granola!! That would be awesome:) Great recipes...

July 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

This sounds delicious. I eat GF yogurt every morning with greek yogurt for breakfast. This might be a nice change from the one I buy at Trader Joe's. Thank you.

July 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home