Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day


Bet you thought there would be snow photos.....well it's about 15 degrees outside and hubby has the flu so I am inside.

I saw a pin cushion idea on Pinterest and when I found this little container on one of my thrift store trips for 25 cents, I decided I would make one. Of course mine is not as cute as the one on pinterest, but I just used scrap material and what I had at home. 

I have a bad habit of losing my pins because I keep them in the plastic container they come in. I never buy NEW pins, I get them when I go to estate sales for a little of nothing! Estate sales are a great place to get sewing stuff, I have paid as little as a dollar for a bag of zippers, thread is always cheap, and I have purchased several pairs of scissors for way below their "store price". Personally I do not think you can ever have too many pairs of scissors! 

Getting back to the pin cushion, I just cut a large circle for the base, hand basted, gathered it, and filled with fiberfill. Then I cut 3 sets of circles and sewed each set together, made a slit in the back, turned and filled with fiberfill. I tried to add some rickrack around the edge but didn't do too good a job sewing it. I sewed the four filled circles together and then hot glued into the container. There are step by step directions on my pinterest site. 

As I was sticking the pins in, hubby started talking about the Hellraiser movies, of which I have never watched. Not a fan of the scary movies, especially the bloody ones! Never watched any of the Freddy Kruger, those ones with the masked man or those creepy Chuckie movies. I really like Rear Window, The Birds and other Alfred Hitchcock movies. 

Can you tell I am home from school......went home early yesterday and we are stuck because of icy streets, no school tomorrow either so no telling what I will be up to!


2 comments:

  1. Well it's cute as a pin! Hope you and Jeff are staying warm. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute pin keep! Love it and the container for 25 cents. What a deal. Funny I posted a picture of the pin keep I made this past week. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete